Sunday, November 25, 2018

Vision Trip Favorites November 5-10, 2018

This blog is a collection of favorites from the great six day trip on the Vision out of Santa Barbara from November 5th through the 10th.  This is the third year in a row I've been on this trip organized by Richard Salas.  Richard has a great group doing this trip and I'm glad I'm part of it.  I've had such a good time on these trips that I'm taking next November's nine day trip and I'm also planning on taking Richard's upcoming trip to God's Pocket the end of this coming March.  This trip included Santa Barbara Island, an oil rig dive off Long Beach, Catalina Island, San Clemente Island, back to Santa Barbara Island after a rough night crossing, and the furthest west Channel Island, San Miguel Island.  Several of the dives were especially memorable with Sea Lions and with a Black Sea Bass, I will never forget them.

Here's the link to my selected favorite shots from this trip:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnE4MXW7J4hBpEAH8

 This is the Vision returning to Santa Barbara Harbor at 5 pm, finishing a trip.  The crew turned around the boat and we were able to load up at 8 pm for a midnight departure.

Here's the Richard and his group of divers as we were cruising back into port at the end of our fabulous trip.  Great sea conditions, great crew, great food, great company.

                               California Sheepshead, Sutil Island off Santa Barbara Island

Giant Kelpfish, well camouflaged in Giant Kelp, while I was making my safety stop under the stern of the Vision.  See it?  1/3 in from left, 1/3rd up from bottom, about 14 inches long.

                                        School of Half Moons at the Arch.

We dived both of this pair of oil platforms, we had exceptional visibility, calm seas, only a slight current, and a sunny day, perfect.

The oil rigs form artificial reefs with amazing invertebrate life density thanks to the flow of water through the structure, here with my favorite California fish, the Cabezon.

I love the light on this Perch of some kind with the colorful Strawberry Anemones behind it.


    Lots of fish in this San Clemente seascape.

I had two remarkable dives at the Sea Lion rookery on Santa Barbara Island, this Sea Lion demonstrated that he could blow bubbles just like I kept doing!

                          Sea Lions (and Harbor Seals) love to tug on your fins.

Calico Bass with beautiful purple Hydro Coral at Purple Hydro Coral Reef, Santa Barbara Island

I had 17 minutes, based on my photo times, alone with this magnificent Black Sea Bass.  I mainly just spun in one position as he repeatedly passed me.


                            More fun with the usual suspects, Castle Rock, San Miguel Island

    I think I heard him say, in the bubble above, Que Pasa?

                               Spanish Shawl, Wyckoff Ledge, San Miguel Island

                               California Scorpionfish, Richardson Rock, San Miguel Island

No comments:

Post a Comment