Thursday, November 15, 2018

Black Sea Bass, Torpedo Ray Reef, SBI November 8, 2018

Vision moved on from the much loved time at the Sea Lion Rookery for a couple more afternoon dive sites.  The highlight of these for me was 17 minutes I had alone with a Black Sea Bass, another unforgettable dive.  Below are some pictures from this dive at Torpedo Ray Reef, for more, please go to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fjfKXwLzL99aKv8F8

    I had just gotten to the bottom and made my way to the edge of the kelp forest where the urchin barrens began.  I turned right and almost immediately a shadow came over me, I looked up and there he was.

I resisted the temptation to try to swim closer to him and instead just hung in the water and he repeatedly circled me.  I'd estimate his size at 200 to 250 lbs or so, maybe just under six feet long.







I especially like the shots with him in the kelp forest, his natural environment.









As more divers arrived the Black Sea Bass moved off and I ended my dive, ready for the next stop.

Our next stop is known for its Purple Hydro Coral and has a beautiful arch.  Below are some photos from this dive, more can be found at:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCnkX82jQwLarKMe8

Another beautiful kelp forest with lots of fish and clear blue water.

   It's fun when you have a large fish encounter and it's obvious he's watching you, too, as this California Sheepshead is.

It quickly became evident why this site is renowned for its Purple Hydro Coral, here in Palm Kelp with a Calico aka Kelp Bass.


                         Another beautiful arch is on this site, though this one is a bit deep.



 Back to the boat for my much needed safety stop before surfacing.

             Safety stops are very enjoyable in clear water, in a kelp forest, with lots of fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment