Friday, November 17, 2017

Giant Black Sea Bass at Santa Catalina Island! November 10,2017

Last Friday I had a couple really memorable dives on Eagle Reef off Santa Catalina Island.  I saw Giant Black Sea Bass on each of three dives and I had a long encounter with a six foot, at least 400 lb Bass and shot several pictures and videos as well.  I saw one Giant Black Sea Bass, also near Catalina, last year, this year I finally got to take pictures as well.  I grew up in Florida which has the comparable, but different, Goliath Grouper which I got to photography several times in our long Florida visit in 2015.  Below are some photos from these three dives, which included much more than Black Sea Bass, for more please go to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnZ5TAffwLot90Vi2

Eagle Reef, Santa Catalina Island

Though I was shooting with my fisheye lens, a Tokina 10-17 mm wide angle, I've learned that I can get ok pictures of very small subjects as well due to the ability to focus on very close subjects.  I couldn't resist getting another photo of Yellow Zoanthids and Bluebanded Gobies.  While shooting these, I happened to spot a large fin under a rock and discovered another Horned Shark to photo.

                               Horned Shark, this is only the second time I've got to photo one of these.

While shooting the Horned Shark thanks to shooting the Yellow Zoanthids, I spotted another favorite, usually shy, subject, a Treefish.

Ok, not a great photo, but I couldn't resist getting a shot with both a Treefish and a Horned Shark!





The Vision, you can just make it out in the background of this "looking up" shot, was nicely positioned near large rocks in shallow water which were great for outgassing before surfacing after spending time at 80 ft with Black Sea Bass (I saw two on this first dive but not close enough to photo).

Another shot of irresistible Bluebanded Gobies in shallow water before I ascended.

 On my second dive I went down to 80 ft and just parked on a large boulder and waited.  I almost missed finally getting a picture of this huge Black Sea Bass because he passed behind me at a shallower depth upslope from me.  On my next dive I had lots of time with this Giant, easily identifiable due to the prominent split at the top of his tail.

There was a large school of Chub Mackerel in the shallows as I ascended towards the Vision.

 Yes, I would say there was a plethora of Chub Mackerel.


I quickly inhaled my lunch and I splashed for my third dive well ahead of anyone else so I had the dive site to myself.  Having listened carefully to several fellow divers about their Black Sea Bass encounters, I followed the rock ridge that started just to starboard of the Vision down to its end at 77 ft, as I rounded the corner an enormous tailfin came into view inches from my face, I slowly rolled right and kept descending in order to avoid startling the Giant.

Once I was well past the Black Sea Bass, I took a picture.  He was at least 6 ft long, probably at least 400lbs.  It is great that this Giants are making a comeback thanks to complete protection after nearly being annihilated thirty years ago.


I took a number of pictures of this awesome fish and I resisted the urge to get closer because I didn't want to make him move before my fellow dives got a chance to see him.


While maintaining my distance from the Giant a second Black Sea Bass, still enormous but about half the size of the first, paid us a visit and passed between me and my first subject.

Here's a zoomed in closeup of the second Black Sea Bass.  He or she had quite a few "bugs" on his head, no wonder cleaning stations are so popular with large fish!

I resisted the urge to try to shoot a selfie with this beauty and instead, shot some video, which requires quite some reconfiguration with my Canon Rebel T2-i.  These are shot with natural light, 80 ft down so you can tell the visibility and sunlight were good, though the sensitivity the camera has is impressive.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCyl-tyH1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6ef5xbRd0



As I made my way back up the slope to my safety stop I was able to capture a shot of a Senorita (small fish just right of center in photo) cleaning Halfmoons.

After this dive we moved over to Emerald Bay for our final dive of the day.  It was anti climatic after the Giant Black Sea Bass encounters.




For a few more pictures from my dive at Emerald Bay, Santa Catalina, please go to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GImHOfpBvh1EwFpM2


No comments:

Post a Comment