Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Diving San Clemente with the Vision November 8, 2017

We again had a very calm crossing, this time for our third day of diving was at San Clemente Island.  This was my first time to San Clemente.  Dive boats are supposed to get the Navy's permission before diving at San Clemente, permission is not frequently given becasue they want free rein on all their training activities.  The captain thought we could tuck into the NW corner of the island without getting immediately chased off and, fortunately, he was correct.  The first dive site was "Nine Fathoms", I made two dives at this site, below are some pictures from these dives, for more, please go to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyutxrKq5HSQCoJt2  .  I enjoyed the 60 ft visibility and great light, I didn't enjoy the 54 degree water temp at 65 ft, so my wetsuit was quite compressed, so much.  Happily, the water temp warmed to 59 degrees, probably associated with water moving in with the current, for the second dive.  We had significant current come up during the first dive - I had some real work getting back to the boat.  The second dive at this site was made by using the bow entry, grabbing a current line to pull yourself forward to the bow anchor line and then pulling your way down the bow anchor line.  Once you were down 20 ft or so the current was very manageable with minor effort.  I made sure I could find the anchor in order to make a safe ascent back to the boat at the end of my dive.

Dawn, San Clemente Island

                  Red Gorgonia and Treefish


                                            Great light at 60 ft!

                      I didn't see another diver on my first dive until I started getting back into the neighborhood the Vision was anchored in.

Another Giant Kelpfish!

                                         Juvenile Garibaldi with jewel spots


 Making my way up the anchor line for my safety stop in strong current at the end of my second dive at Nine Fathoms site.

The second dive site at San Clemente Island was NW Harbor.  Below are some photos from this dive, for more, please go to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AfHwZvrs7k0Nnoq62

NW Harbor (the dive site named for a dive area off San Clemente's NW Harbor) was shallower with a dense, beautiful kelp forest, it also was shallower and didn't have a strong current.  This seascape view was at about 45 ft, look at the light and the visibility!

                            Once more, lots of small "bugs" but no large ones so I didn't bring home spiny lobster from this trip...


Beautiful Giant Kelp growth to photo during my safety stop.

Back to the Vision to wrap up another great day of diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment