Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Day and a Night Dive on Santa Catalina's Eagle Rock November 15,2016

After two dives at the Eureka and Ellen offshore oil platforms off LA the Vision returned to Catalina where I did an afternoon dive at Eagle Rock followed by a night dive there.  On the day dive I was thrilled to see my first Giant Black Sea Bass - he was busy entertaining a couple of other divers when I found them - but he swam off before I got close enough for photos....next time.  The Eagle Rock site is badly infested by invasive Sargassum weed.  The boat's captain said that the weed had spread tremendously during last year's warm El Nino water event.  On the night dive I was entertained by finding a patient Scorpion fish, an octopus determined to keep hunting despite my lights, and numerous small spiny lobster.  Happily I encountered a nice larger-than- minimum keep sized lobster as I was starting back to the boat and grabbed it.  Yum.

Below are some pictures from these two dives, for more, please go to:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNnxEB6ZZN77BeXCdFilcNWeeXJKtyJ-6Fodz03b1SoK7VKbbFwgs36MOgQOga6bw?key=SEh2a2EyM3hXWU12N0MwZG9VSU9qYmFoalNvaXNB

                                 Large California Sheepshead

                                          Curious Garibaldi

                        Blacksmiths crowd around a Senorita in order to get their parasites plucked.

 The dives at Santa Catalina are the only time that I've witnessed this cleaning behavior between Blacksmiths and Senoritas.


            A Garibaldi and a Blacksmith hover above dense, invasive Sargassum weed which shouldn't be there.

    I came upon this Scorpion fish perched in invasive Sargassum weed early on my night dive.


                                I was pleased to see many juvenile spiny lobsters on this dive.


    One of the best things about night dives is that it is the most likely way to have an octopus encounter.  This octopus kept on hunting as I took pictures so I spent quite some time with him.

As I started making my way back to the Vision to end my dive I spotted and grabbed a nice sized lobster for dinner when I got home.


No comments:

Post a Comment