Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Snorkeling with Reef Squid at the reef off the point at the east end of Sekewa Beach

I went snorkeling at the reef that is off the point at the end of Sekewa Beach near the bungalow we rented called Tropic Splendor.  I had the good fortune on this outing (I was by myself because Donna was nursing a cold I gave her from my travels in Indonesia) to encounter a school of about 25 reef squid.  I love all cephalopods - squid, octopus, cuttlefish.  I look forward to see the Monterey Aquarium's new cephalopod exhibit called "Tentacles" that opens April 15 (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/calendar/MemberEvents.aspx ).


 Squid can change color at the blink of an eye.  I'm not sure if this was the start of amorous behavior or just dominance games.
 One squid has a very distinctively different color.


To see all 18 photos please go to :
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/5982250706890644593?authkey=CIyQwuq13dT4eg


No comments:

Post a Comment