Sunday, September 8, 2019

Mitch's Hunch, off Pt Joe, September 7, 2019

Guy and Tessa Foster and I dived with Sanctuary yesterday.  Conditions were excellent, much better than the marine forecast.  We headed for Carmel Bay due to the early calm conditions but shortly after we rounded Pt Pinos Sanctuary's Captain observed that the kelp was recovering off Pt Joe and that the water was quite blue for this time of year, then he observed large profile rock formations and presto, we decided to dive a new site off Pt Joe.  One pinnacle's base was at 73 ft, it's top at 52 ft.  Big rocks with spots of sand.  Lots of rockfish, quite a number of lingcod.  Water temp was a chilly (especially following three weeks in Tonga) 48 degrees, Tessa enjoyed her new crushed neoprene dry suit.  Visibility was excellent, easily 30 - 35 ft.  Below are some pictures from this dive, to see the rest, go to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGhVje6FFN1DMTgo6




                                 Yes, I would say there was a plethora of Blue Rockfish.

                                 Sea Lemon Nudibranch



                                Tessa hanging out, comfortable in her new drysuit.


Back to Sanctuary after a slow ascent and safety stop to ease the pressure change on my tortured sinuses.  I still had lingering congestion from a nasty bug the week before.  I sat out the next dive to take it easy on my sinuses.  I'm in my 53rd year of diving, think this was the second dive I've sat out...

No comments:

Post a Comment