Monday, September 24, 2018

Very good, deep, dive at Mono-lobo September 22, 2018

Greg Hoberg and I took his dive boat in calm seas and fog down to Mono-lobo on the first day of Fall.  We were pleased to see the continuing recovery of kelp on Chase Reef as we approached and then rounded Pt Pinos, off Pt Joe, and at Mono-lobo.  We anchored on the outer edge of the kelp because it is finally too dense to weave the boat through.  We ended up spending a lot of time around 70 ft because we had such a rich area of subjects for our photography.  Visibility wasn't as good as we'd been hoping, around 20 ft, a bit better by the end of the dive.  During the dive I was dismayed to find myself getting very wet in my "drysuit" despite having carefully cleaned and lubricated the zippers that morning.....I was cold by the end of the dive and had water sloshing up over my knees for the ride back to Monterey.

Below are some photos from our dive, to see more please go to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tfpWVwZmUTyPTLzn9

 Horned Nudibranch, about 3 inches long, I'm pleased with the macro photos I can take with my new "backup" 24 mm lens and 8.5 inch dome.

                                Treefish, a shy rockfish with pink lips.  It dived into its hole after the flash...

    Cadlina flavomaculata, into the Yellow Spot Cadlina nudibranch, this is the first I've seen and photoed.


                                San Diego Dorid, aka Leopard Nudibranch


                                          Kelp Crab

                                          Black Eyed Goby with a White Sea Cucumber

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie, I met you on the trip with Sanctuary Charters for a Saturday morning dive. Great photos. was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to seeing some more of your photos. -Stefan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stefan, It was a pleasure meeting you on our trip. Thanks for the compliment on my photos. I want to make them available for divers to show to friends so that the see why you dive.

      Delete