Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Very Fun dives with Sanctuary at Aumentos and Hopkins Aquarium 9-23-2018

Yesterday, to my surprise from the night before, I dived with Sanctuary for my third day of diving in a row....Well I'm making up for a slower pace of local diving earlier this year.  I happily drove home in our new Tesla Saturday afternoon after two days of diving with Greg Hoberg.  Donna had set up an Art Show Opening for Art Trails at a fantastic Art Gallery in Healdsburg and I was due there at 6 pm....After attending and enjoying the wine, appetizers, and art I went home to discover that I had a reservation to dive with Santuary the next morning....So 4 am saw me headed back to Monterey, 200 miles south, but once again enjoying our new Tesla Model 3.....Also, I was diving with my wetsuit due to a large leakage problem I'd had with my drysuit that day...

Our first dive was on Aumentos, we stayed in Monterey Bay because the visibility had been better in Monterey than Carmel the day before.  Visibility was 35 ft and water temperature was 49 degrees from the recent upwelling.  Below are some pictures from this dive, for more, please go to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVoTAcESDTUDafQP8

                                          Juvenile Lingcod

                                          Yellow Edged Cadlina

 Black Eyed Goby displaying his dorsal fin, the first time I've caught this in a photo, I think he was displaying to his reflection on my new 8.5 in dome I was using with my new 24 mm lens.

    Coonstripe Shrimp.  I'm pleased that my 24 mm lens can take decent macro photos.

                                   Black Eyed Goby with a large Hermit Crab

    Coonstripe Shrimp, about 2 inches long

    Black Eyed Goby, about 3 inches long, displaying his dorsal fin to his own reflection in my camera dome.  By far my best ever photo of this type of fish.

                                          Sea Lemon Nudibranch, about 6 inches long.

                                                 Metridium Anemone, aka Plumrose Anemone, about 14 inches tall


    I had a nice encounter with this beautiful, confident Cabezon just before I had to ascend to my safety stop.


Our second dive was near Hopkin's Marine lab, just inside China Point, just past the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  One of the fun things at this site is that you are sometimes entertained by curious Harbor Seals, as I was on this dive.  Below are some photos from this dive, for more, please go to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9fCAQZd16rEvtyTk8

       Monterey Bay's inner dive sites have lots of tube anemones where the rocky reefs meet the sand.

                                Male Kelp Greenling


 I realized I was in the company of a young Harbor Seal when I felt my fin getting tugged.  She was quite shy though but kept visiting me throughout my dive, I managed to get a couple pictures.

                                      There were several scenes of Sea Hare orgies and egg laying on this dive.




                                       Unusual to find a Plumrose Anemone in this shallow of water, about 40 ft.

    A parting glance from my new friend as I finished my dive.


No comments:

Post a Comment