Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Good solo shore dive at Otter Cove May 3, 2016

Yesterday I made a solo shore dive at Otter Cove.  I had 47 degree water and 15 to 20 ft of visibility.  I was pleased to only see one sea urchin out in the open in the entire dive!  The kelp bed there is about the healthiest in the entire Monterey-Carmel region.  I also saw more healthy spiny sea stars than I've seen since the sea star wasting disease that started in 2013.  55 minute dive, 45 ft maximum depth.  It was a good reminder of how tiring a hike down stairs, long surface swim, long scuba dive, long surface swim back to shore and a climb back up the stairs leaves you.  I am so glad my usual dive buddy Greg bought a RIB!

Otter Cove, Pacific Grove, from the top of the stairs.

It's good to see substantial giant kelp still at Otter Cove, 15 - 20 ft of visibility.


I saw more healthy spiny sea stars on this dive than I've seen in three years since the sea star wasting disease struck.


Copper Rockfish, there are few rockfish, lingcod, or cabezon left at Otter Cove because it is a very popular fishing and spearfishing destination.

Otter Cove has lots of beautiful sea anemones.

Look closely and you will find a well camouflaged shrimp on the stalk of this tube anemone.

A cluster of large acorn barnacles covered with a blue encrusting sponge.


After the long dive, and then a long snorkel back to shore, and then the struggle out of fins and up the beach, you have to go up the stairs.  There is about a quadzillion of them and the altitude gain feels like about 5000 ft.  I'm so glad Greg got a dive boat!

To see more from this dive, please go to:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/6280976441101249265?authkey=CJSKrJ_Q7NTHeQ



No comments:

Post a Comment