Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wainilu dusk dive, Seven Seas Liveaboard, Jan 9, 2014 - Mandarinfish!

Our fourth night out was our first chance at a night dive, really a dusk dive so that we could see the beautiful but elusive and shy, Mandarinfish.  Getting good pictures of these little fish is a challenge.  They hide during the day and come out at night to chase each other around and then dart up above the coral rubble they live in in order to quickly spawn.  If you use a white pointer light to help you see the fish and focus your camera the Mandarinfish go into hiding.  I had better success on this attempt by using a red filter on the small focus light built into my strobe.

As I was trying to get positioned over the rubble and was in the process of trying to carefully place my left forefinger and index finger on the bottom to keep me still in one place in near darkness.  I spotted small movement next to my hand and realized it was a scorpionfish...I carefully moved my hand about a foot and nearly put it down on a second scorpionfish...this is why one uses a short stainless steel pointer rod to suspend oneself above the bottom when muck diving.  I bought a new one from Seven Seas the next morning...
 The first of two close encounters with scorpionfish as I started my dive...
Mandarinfish are gorgeous and they know it.
To see more pictures from this dive please go to:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/5974926769800059809?authkey=CKOtipHs9MXdgAE

2 comments:

  1. I located one reliable example of this fact through this blog website. I am mosting likely to use such information now. Hurghada Liveaboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly a practical blog to discover some various resource to include my knowledge. Red Sea Liveaboard

    ReplyDelete