Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Last night dive on Seven Seas Liveaboard, Komodo.

I'm being pseudo-random in covering my amazing 13 day dive trip on the Seven Seas liveaboard.  The night of Jan 17 we made our final night of the trip before heading back toward the island of Flores the next morning so that we would be close enough to get there for the night of the 18th before catching our flight on the morning of the 19th.

The dive was in Horseshoe Bay, Rinca Island (pronounced Rin-ja as the Dutch spelled it, for a hard k sound in Indonesian you use a k).  The dive site is known as Torpedo Alley for the torpedo rays that are common there, one of which I saw and photoed on the dive. I was shooting with my 60 mm macro lens so getting the half meter ray in the shot took some resetting and positioning.

Always underwater, especially in tropical seas, you want to be very careful where you touch the bottom both for the damage you can cause and because of the damage you can sustain.  Torpedo rays bury themselves in the sand so that only their eyes are exposed.  Putting your hand down on one could give one a shocking surprise.

Spent some time with a cool pygmy cuttlefish.  I don't think he thought my strobe was so cool though.

Pygmy cuttlefish was about 4 inches long.

I found some cool crabs protected by tiny hydroids on a purple sea pen.  The crabs were maybe 1/2 inch across.

I had my first ever encounter with an ornate ghost pipefish, one of those fish you dream of getting a picture of.
For more pictures from this dive please go to :
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/5974556159732190497?authkey=CJS3lZyK2oKEPA

2 comments: