Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Fun solo shore dive at Otter Cove, Pacific Grove March 2, 2017

I dived at one of my favorite shore dive spots, Otter Cove, on Thursday.  I decided to shoot with my Macro Canon 60 mm lens and was really pleased I did.  I had 15 to 20 ft of visibility and the usual water temperature of 52 degrees.  During the dive I noticed several rocks had large colonies of mature, fist sized, Acorn Barnacles.  This used to be a rare find but Acorn Barnacles have thrived and expanded since the Sea Star wasting disease decimated their primary predator.  While attempting to get a shot of a filter feeding Acorn Barnacle I noted that there was a bright, perky Yellowfin Fringehead (though he was orange, another common color for them) occupying an empty Acorn Barnacle skeleton.  This was the first Yellowfin Fringehead I've photoed and many shots ensued. He/she was comfortably ensconced in the Acorn Barnacle shell so it was easy.  After this entertainment I started back towards shore, on the way I saw motion under a large bolder I was passing and upon closer inspection realized I'd found a Monkeyface Prickleback (frequently called an eel).  I was able to make by far the best shots of a Monkeyface I've ever been able to take.

Below are some select shots from my dive, to see,  more please go to:  https://goo.gl/photos/gGcMo3QmycUMP7aLA

                                Club (aka Strawberry) Anemone, about 1/2 inch across

                                         Orange Cup Coral, a little under a 1/2 inch across

                 My first shot of a Yellowfin Fringehead.  She's sitting in a vacant Acorn Barnacle Shell.


                    In this shot you can clearly see the Acorn Barnacle shell she is confidently occupying.

                                          A quite enjoyed our "conversation", perhaps more than she did!

                                       She's probably about four inches long and has quite a "do".


   My first ever good photo of a Monkeyface Prickleback (frequently called eels rather than Pricklebacks).  He's got the characteristic prominent ridge of mature adult Pricklebacks on his forehead.





No comments:

Post a Comment