Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A Dive at the Coast Guard Jetty with Octopus, new nudibranch (for me), and a new fish, too. Oct 3, 2016

I made a solo dive at the Monterey Coast Guard jetty on Tuesday.  I had 10 to 15 ft of visibility with almost no surge and 53 degrees.  I was shooting Macro with my 60 mm Canon lens in anticipation of limited visibility.  The jetty is a very good place for macro photograph and so it was on this dive with a patient juvenile common octopus, the largest Orange and White Clown nudibranchs I've ever seen, the first Chromodoris Macfarlandi nudibranch I've ever photoed, a really cool Wholly Sculpin and a new fish for me, a type of Ronquil, either a Bluebanded Ronquil or a Stripedfin Ronquil.  Lots of cool juvenile rockfish, a cooperative abalone, and a coonstripe shrimp all reminded me of the fun to be had with macro photography.  For more pictures from this dive please go to:  https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMSXPCJqztbJkR9SyB0RBYzXaBFo35MIyygffkP




                                     Black Eyed Goby

                                      Juvenile Rockfish

                                     Juvenile Common Octopus




                            Bluebanded or Stripedfin Ronquil, the first time I've photoed this species.

                                Bluebanded or Stripedfin Ronquil

                                          Orange and White, aka Clown nudibranch, Catalina Triopha

                               The largest Clown Nudibranch I've seen to date.

                                          An abalone peaking from its hiding place.  It has to stay well hidden, lots                                               of sea otters around here!

                                Chromodoris macfarlandi  nudibranch.  Common name TBD.

                                Wholly Sculpin, one of the coolest small fish we have here.

                                          Juvenile Treefish (rockfish)

                                              Coonstripe Shrimp



No comments:

Post a Comment