Sunday, February 22, 2015

Another shore dive at Otter Cove, Pacific Grove, 2-21-2015

Conditions continued to be excellent so before starting the long drive home to Healdsburg with Donna I made a relatively early morning dive at Otter Cove for a second day.  On this dive I again had excellent visibility at light and I also enjoyed several encounters with Cabezon, my favorite fish subject here in California.  On this dive I did find a few sea urchins but their were only a few and they were in the usual protected positions.  I wonder why there are so few in Otter Cove while all of Carmel Bay is heavily infested?  Could it be related to the deepwater canyon that goes into tiny Carmel Bay?  Why are there so many more Spiny/Knobby Sea Stars off Otter Cove compared to in Carmel (sadly, I saw that a couple of them were dying of sea star wasting disease).  Water temperature was 56 degrees, so still four or five degrees warmer than usual.  Visibility ranged from 20 ft just off shore to at least 35 or 40 ft out in 45 ft of water at the edge of the kelp bed.

 Having a good scuba dive off Otter Cove always involves a significant snorkel swim to get out to at least 25 to 35 ft of water found around 150 yards offshore.  I decided to shoot a snorkeling shot of the kelp bed as I reached it.
 My first of several encounters with Cabezon on this dive.
 Once you get out to near the edge of the kelp bed in 40 to 45 ft of water you find many very large rock structures.  Diving this area in clear water with good sunlight is a blast.
 Here is the second Cabezon I encountered yesterday, this shot in natural light.  He blends in well.
The Cabezon is easier to see with a flash shot.
 I spotted another nice sized Cabezon watching me swim past his perch.
 I decided to attempt a selfie with the Cabezon....but I kept my eyes on the cabezon instead of looking at the camera.
 A tube anemone with a seascape.
To see more pictures from this dive please go to:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/6118758625218973121?authkey=CIHD6b7pp4_TFw

No comments:

Post a Comment