Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dive off west side of Lover's Point, 6-2-2014

I did a shore dive off the beach on the west side of Lover's Point last Monday.  I had 10 to 15 feet of visibility.  I slowly made my way out on the bottom through the kelp bed that is just offshore.  I was enjoying taking some macro photos when I got one of the biggest scares of my life.  The loudest bang I've ever heard went off right near me.  It was followed by a second deafening bang.  I realized that I was on the outside of the kelp bed and that one of the 21 or so trawlers that have been harvesting market squid off Lover's Point for the last couple of weeks was hitting rocks with his trawl in my immediate vicinity.  I swam as hard as I could back into the kelp bed then, eventually, surfaced when I had dense kelp all around me.  The bloody trawler was barely outside the edge of the kelp, right where I had been shooting.  I was nearly the "Catch of the day"!   47 years ago when I was first certified as a scuba diver and my dad was then the age I am today he cautioned me that I would learn that "There are old divers and there are bold divers but there aren't very many old, bold, divers!"  I hadn't intended or thought that venturing to the far side of the fringing kelp bed was bold buy it sure was.... I went back down and slowly made my way back to the beach and I discovered a buried weight belt on the way and managed to carry it back with me.

A few pictures from my dive are below, to see the rest please go to:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110159573286645489662/albums/6021254159013635409?authkey=CKL3vP3Ps9rTUw


 Small 4 inch flatfish, sole, flounder,....
 Black eyed goby on a bat star.
 Colorful sea anemone
 Another colorful sea anemone
Juvenile painted greenling with tunicates and strawberry anemones.

No comments:

Post a Comment